Monday, December 28, 2009

Why Best Buy Sucks

So as some of you may know I recently purchased an Asus K60-IJ notebook computer from Best Buy. I mainly bought the computer in order to have mobile internet access (like when I'm on vacation), and to be able to use it for school work as I am starting College at the beginning of January. Given the Asus' reasonable price, ample hard disc space, and dual core processor it seemed like a decent enough fit.

On November 6th I headed to Best Buy to check it out in person, and pick it up if I liked it. As soon as I walked to within sniffing distance of the computer department, every sales associate in the building pounced. They were like car salesmen. I was asked probably 10 different times (that's not an exaggeration) if I needed anything, and it was a different person every single time. I even had one guy try and sell me cell phones, apparently totally oblivious to the fact that he was nowhere near the cell phone department.

Eventually I decided it was the computer for me. So when the 37th person approached to ask if I needed any help, I told him I wanted to buy the Asus. He proceeded to pull a dented box out from underneath the display model and hand it to me.

"Uh, not to be rude, but do you think you could grab me one that doesn't have dented packaging?"

"Oh, not a problem," he said, as he reached for his upscale Fisher-Price walkie talkie and radiod for a warehouse boy to fetch the notebook.

As we were standing around waiting he took the time to try and sell me on the "Geek Squad" services. Would I like my computer "Optimized" for 130 bucks? No thanks, I can always do most of that myself for free. Would I like to buy Geek Squads "Black Tie Protection" plan for 200 bucks, which protects against any manufacturer defects, or accidental damage? Nah. Asus already offers a 1 year warranty on manufacturers defects, and accidental damage so I should be fine. Finally my computer shows up, I pay them their money and am on my way.

For about a month and a half the computer is awesome. It does everything I want it to do, and I have no complaints. It's not top of the line, even for a budget laptop, but it works for me.

I brought it home from Jenny's one day, set it over the baby/dog gate in the hallway (got to make sure the dog can't get it), and proceed to go to bed. A few days later I decide to bring it to work. It's Christmas Eve, and will probably be slow. Might as well take it and listen to music or something.

I get to work and pull it out of the case. Right when I open it I know something is wrong. I can see the black splotches on the LCD Screen. I know it's bad news bears, but hoping against hope I turn it on anyway. Disaster! The screen looks like someone stepped on it. The entire upper LH corner is blank white. Parallel lines run horizontaly accross the screen. A family member must have stepped on it I think. I certainly didn't drop it, and I'm sure I didn't step on it. Why did I leave it in the hallway? I'm such an idiot!

Once the initial feeling of imminent upchuck subsides I start thinking rationally. It will probably be covered under warranty. I mean, Asus has a 1 year accidental damage warranty. Why am I worrying?

Why? Maybe it's because when I went to check Asus site it says that Asus does offer an accidental damage warranty. Just not if you bought it at Best Buy! You see, Best Buy isn't a participating member! No, rather than allowing their customers to take advantage of the FREE accidental damage warranty that Asus provides, they would rather force you to pay 230 GOD DAMN DOLLARS FOR THEIR NOTORIOUSLY SHITTY BLACK TIE PROTECTION PLAN!

Thanks Best Buy! For making sure that I advise my friends to never buy a computer from you, and for making sure that I NEVER buy a thing from you again.

No comments: